Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Upgrading Equipment

At times, it's necessary to upgrade camping equipment.  Sometimes the stove, lantern, etc.... other times it's the tent, cooler, screenhouse, etc....

My current tent was purchased from Building 19 (I think local to Massachusetts) for $60 because it was missing it's rainfly (which I didn't realize it was supposed to have until I saw one set up in a campground, lol).  I purchased a clear painter's tarp thingy from Walmart for $3 to use as a rainfly.  I figured if I got one season out of it, it was worth it.  I managed to get 4 or 5 out of it!  As you read in a previous post, my last trip of the summer had some tough rain.  I ended up with water in the tent, a full pasta pot full of water!  That was the last straw and I decided I was getting a new tent, somehow, before next summer.

My entire camping life, I've dreamed of owning an LL Bean tent.  They are well-constructed and more importantly - all their products are guaranteed!  I have issues with tents leaking.  It is, admittedly, my own fault.  I never remember to seal the seams on the tent until I'm sleeping in it and it's raining!  I know....nice time to remember, huh?

My solution, albiet not a cheap one, is to get an LL Bean tent.  Their tent seams are factory taped and sealed, and guaranteed not to leak or need sealing again.  I read this and was in heaven!  In my search for the perfect Bean tent for me, I wanted one with a bathtub floor, and a rain fly that came down to the ground.  As anyone who has camped before knows, this significantly increases the usable space in a tent!  No more freaking out about the sides (yeah!).  So, I ended up finding the tent I wanted, the King Pine Dome Tent.  Supposedly sleeps six, but realistically 3 or 4.  That's fine with me, I typically have 1-3 people sleeping in it at one time.  It also has an attached screen room which is fabulous for putting shoes on/off, jackets, etc... and keeping the majority of dirt out of the tent!

Here is a picture from the LLBean website!


The cost of the tent and the matching footprint is $400.  The tent alone is $360, and really, if I'm spending that on a Bean tent, I can shell out the $40 for the footprint!  Since I had no visible means of affording this tent before the next camping season, I asked my friends and family for Bean gift cards for my birthday and Christmas, rather than presents to unwrap.  I was polite about it....when asked what I wanted, I replied with a Bean tent :)    Anyway, I ended up with $300 in gift cards, only $100 short....that made the tent a lot more affordable!  My most recent gift card came in the mail yesterday, and of course there was a Bean catalog included with it.  While flipping through, I noticed my tent was on sale!  It was only $300 instead of $360.  Hmmmmmmm   So, I went online and sure enough, the footprint was on sale too ($30 instead of $40).  With tax, it was only going to be $350 for both.  So, I jumped on it and ordered both.  They had free shipping on orders over $75, which was nice since the tent weighs almost 34 lbs!!   It should be at my house by the end of the week :D

I also decided that I was tired of the ice in my cooler needing to be replaced every day.  It gets expensive!  I was looking at different coolers, and happened upon the 5 day ice coolers.  Yes, they don't fit as much as the one I have now, but I'd rather go out to the store to buy more food than to buy ice that's gonna be gone tomorrow!  I decided I liked the Coleman ones.  Just have to find a size I like in a price I like, lol!

I am also in the market for a tote to replace my big blue one, I found some cracked holes in the bottom at the end of the last trip.  I am looking at the Rubber Maid Action Packers.  I think I'm going to have to order it, because my local Walmart does not carry it.  They, and Target, only carry the smaller one. 



Are you planning on upgrading any of your equipment?  If so, what are your plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment