Saturday, May 28, 2011

Fieldtrip Excursion

So, in preparation for heading out this summer to do some camping (hopefully a lot of camping, but we'll see), I went out on a fact-finding excursion the other week.  Like most people, I have my favorite campground, and even favorite camp sites at that campground.  I used to think I was odd, but after reading some camping blogs (my new obsession), I have realized a lot of people are like this.

As I think I've mentioned before, I took my friend Muffin's kids camping last summer.  They had a great time.  When I asked if they wanted to go again this summer, they said yes, but politely asked if we could go to a different campground because they are bored of the one we always go too.  I realized then, that for the entirety of their camping lives (that they would remember) we have always camped at the same campground, usually on the same site or two.  I said sure, and started doing some research.  I found some very nice state parks in VT that I thought would be fun to take them too. 

This was back in January, lol.  As it turns out, going to VT will not be possible this summer (I had planned to take them for a week, but can't do a week it's too far for just a weekend).  So, I started thinking, and the state park that I go to here in Mass (Myles Standish) has about 8 or 9 campgrounds.  So I wondered what the other campgrounds sites and bathrooms looked like.  I've stayed at one or two for a night or so, but it was a long time ago.  So, last week I decided to take a ride out (it's only about 45 minutes away) and evaluate all the sites and the bathrooms.

I went full-on geekiness with it and made spreadsheets for each campground with a line for each camp site, and columns for different features (wooded or open, private/semiprivate/nonprivate), and one for notes about the site.  I ended up walking around 5 of the campgrounds and driving through one of them.  My plan was to walk through all of them.  The first one didn't really have a place I could park the car, so I drove.  Two of the campgrounds weren't open yet (my car does not fit under the locked gates, lol), and the last one was too far away from the rest, and I didn't feel like driving up there.

There were a few people in a couple of the campgrounds, but other than that, it was I and the workers getting ready for this weekend.  It took between 10 and 20 minutes to walk each campground, assessing the sites and making notes.  I felt very accomplished when I finished!

On one of my walks through, I spotted something through the trees and thought my eyes were playing tricks on me:

Could it really be a SINK to wash DISHES in?????????

I just had to get a closer look:

Sure as ****, that's what it was!!!!!!!!!!

This is quite exciting, since this is the first time the state park has ever had them.  Not sure how this is going to work logistically.....I can envision people lining up with their dirty dishes, waiting to use the sink, lol.   I, for one, like doing my dishes in my screenhouse.  I would consider washing my big pasta pot in this though.....it's a little cramped in the dish pan for it.  

We will have to wait and see.....I'll try to remember to pay attention when I go!

~Chelle

No comments:

Post a Comment